There are opportunities to make extra money all around, we just sometimes need a little help finding them. This page will give you possible ways to earn additional income.
Make Extra Money
1. Find Work on Care.com: The website care.com links people looking for caregivers with job seekers. The areas where you can find potential work is in babysitting/nanny, childcare, errands &house sitting, special needs provider, senior care provider, pet care provider, tutoring, housekeeping, and nursing. There is a membership fee but you can set up an account and browse the site before payment to see if it is right for you.
2. Help Companies Solve Their Problems: Innocentive.com is an impressive website where organizations post their challenges and key problems. Individuals or organizations then submit proposed solutions to the problems with a cash reward being given to the best solution(s).
3. Buy Bulk From Overseas and Resell: I am just getting into this and it looks promising if done right. You can sell the products through an eStore, eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, or at local flee markets. Alibaba.com sells bulk items from China at major discount prices. For some products they let you buy a single item before a major bulk purchase to make sure it is good quality.
4. Find Unclaimed Money: You may have unclaimed money from old paychecks, matured savings bonds, pensions, mortgage refunds, lease deposits or other sources. Go to unclaimed.org or missingmoney.com to do a search for every state you have lived in. I did this several years ago and was able to claim several hundred dollars of money that already belonged to me. Click here for the usa.gov webpage on unclaimed money.
5. eStore: Rather than a traditional brick-and-mortar store, sell your products online with your own eStore. Really successful stores can be a full-time or side job depending on how successful it is. Websites like shopify.com help business and individuals set up online stores.
6. Notary: When we refinanced our house the bank sent a public notary to bring us the contract and notarize our signatures. During the hour visit she told us how she got into being a public notary and the hours she works. She went on to tell us how she makes $30K+ a year working part time. While one person’s experiences may not be reflective of all public notaries, it is worth looking into if you are looking for a good side job. This is also a good idea for housewives who can get away from the home for a couple hours at a time. Requirements for being a public notary vary by state. Nationalnotary.org is a useful website to give information on the requirements of your state.
7. Be a Mystery Shopper: Mystery shoppers or mystery customer are hired by companies to visit an establishment then provide feedback or reports about their experiences. Most mystery shoppers are hired to report on the quality of service in retail stores. While this is a legitimate business opportunity, it is also important to note that there are scams out there. As a general rule, do not join an agency that requires upfront fees. Visit mysteryshop.org for more information.
8. Direct Selling: Some of the largest direct selling companies include Amway, Avon, Tupperware, and Herbalife. This income opportunity involves selling products directly to customers instead of at a traditional retail store. Many direct sellers also use multilevel marketing techniques.
9. Put Advertisements on Your Car: If you are willing to allow companies to put advertisements on your vehicle then you can make up to $400 a month. One site that you can use to do this is freecarmedia.com.
10. Be a Tutor: Some parents are willing to hire private tutors for their children. Care.com has a section where you can find people looking for tutors. You can also post ads or browse other websites.
11. Donate Plasma: You can donate plasma up to two times a week for around $15 to $20 for each donation. This is great for college students who can bring their school work in and study for an hour while getting paid
12. Find Odd Jobs: People will post odd jobs on Craigslist or other sites. Check these postings for anything that interests you.
13. Resale Used Items: Pickup underpriced used items then resale them on Craigslist, thrift stores, facebook yard sale pages, ebay, or flea markets. Craigslist will often list “Curb Alerts” where people give away free stuff they want out of their houses. Also on craigslist look for people selling items as a result of divorce, moving, or losing their jobs. People in these circumstances will sometimes be more willing to sell their used goods for cheaper. Look for some of these free or cheap items to resell for a profit.
14. Yard Sale: If you have things in your house that you haven’t used in years then it is time to free your home of some clutter. Don’t assume that someone won’t want your old junk. You’ll be surprised how excited others will get about buying things that you don’t need anymore. Whatever you don’t sell you can donate to Goodwill, The Salvation Army, or a charity based thrift store for a tax deduction. Click the link below for garage/yard sale tips.
15. Sell Items on ebay: Sell some of your old stuff on ebay. I am also always on the lookout for things that I can quickly resell on ebay for large profit margins. I have an ebay app on my phone that lets me scan the bar code for products so when I want to check the price for something I can quickly look it up.
16. Babysit: Working families may be looking for an alternative to putting their kids into day care. Some of these families would rather have their kids watched by a stay-at-home mom. Websites like sittercity.com or care.com help link sitters with those seeking this service.
17. Sell Crafts on Etsy: If you have a skill for handmade or vintage products, you can turn your hobby into a profit on etsy.com.
18. Amazon’s Mechanical Turk: On this website companies post Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs), which are tasks that you can work on and get paid for. Not all of the tasks pay enough to be worth the time to put into it but some of them pay around $50.
19. Animal Care: You can either post an ad or browse craigslist, care.com or another site to find people are willing to pay you to provide pet care. Services can include dog walking, feeding, bathing, or watching them.
20. Host an Exchange Student: It is possible to earn money for hosting a foreign exchange student. Homestaybooking.com is one site that you can use to host an exchange student.
21. Create a Website: Start your own website or blog with affiliate links or click through advertising.
22. Drop Shipping: This is a technique where the retailer (possibly you) transfers customer orders to the manufacturer or wholesaler, who then delivers the goods to the shopper. You will not need an inventory as you will act as a “middle-man” between the supplier and customer.
23. Photography: If you have a nice camera and some photography skills there are several ways to turn this hobby into income. One way is to be hired for special occasions like graduations, weddings, newborn baby photos, or any other event. The other way to earn money from photography is to sell images to websites that allow visitors to download pictures for a fee.
24. Freelance: If you have skills in areas like IT, Data service, marketing, writing, graphic design, translators, legal, financial management, project management, administrative, or customer service you can supplement your income by being a freelancer. Websites like odesk.com, peopleperhour.com, elance.com allow companies to post work for freelancers to bid on.
I hope one or more of these ideas can help you make extra money. Please also share your success stories in the comments section.